Monday, July 28, 2008

Nov 5, 2007

April Palmer

November 11, 2007

New Testament

Bro. Ludlow


New Testament Journal: November 5, 2007


The pressure was mounting and I could feel the stress as I woke up on Monday—the Old Testament final exam was only two days away! I tried to pay attention to our other classes, but I could tell that everyone really just wanted to go spend some more time with Moses, Elijah, and the twelve Minor Prophets.

We did learn an interesting thing in Arabic class about the Muslim feast of the sacrifice Eid al-Adha. Trevor asked Mr. Jabara about it to get information for the papers we were writing for our Palestinian narrative class. Mr. Jabara explained to us that the Muslims believe that God commanded Abraham to sacrifice his son Ishmael (not Isaac). An angel stopped Abraham from sacrificing Ishmael, and a ram was sacrificed instead. Eid al-Adha commemorates this event.

Besides classes, other happenings on Monday included a lot of studying (hardly anyone left the center), and some lively Family Home Evening activities. Off-key a cappella hymns were followed by spiritual thoughts, card games, and soccer. And I hear that the large beanbag chairs make for a very soft landing, but that is all I will say about it! Family Home Evening was a good break from the tension of finals, but almost everyone returned to their studies afterwards. I, however, spent the rest of the evening giving haircuts to James, Bryan, and Spencer. I am not sure how I ended up being the designated barber, but it has been fun!


Expectations for New Testament:

My first expectation/endeavor for our New Testament course is to strengthen my personal relationship with the Savior through learning more about His life and ministry. I plan to apply the knowledge gained to my own actions so that I may live a more Christ-like life, and feel the peace that a Christ-centered life will bring. I hope that as I learn and apply the teachings of the New Testament, I will gain an increased desire and ability to share the restored gospel with others. I also hope to pick out teachings and applications that will help me in my next large life step—marriage and a family. Lastly, I want to strengthen my ability to feel and recognize the presence of the Holy Ghost so that I may continue learning through him even after we leave the Holy Land.

No comments: