Monday, July 28, 2008

Tuesday Nov 6, 2007

6 November 2007
Jessica Bringhurst

November 6 had great potential to become a dark and dreary day as it was the day before our Old Testament final. Everyone was trying their best to cram 900 years of history into a massive day-before study session. But somehow, I’m still not quite sure how, I was able to have fun that night. I studied with Janessa, Bailey, and Tiffany (plus the occasional straggler) in the far-reaches of classroom 4. We filled two white-boards with knowledge that night. The mood was light and fun, surprisingly. Maybe it was our reenactments of biblical stories- like Sampson (Tiffany) tearing down the two pillars of the temple (Bailey and I), on top of all the Philistines (Janessa). Or maybe it was so fun because we gluttoned ourselves to our utmost desire and beyond. Seriously, we ate half of a tub of chocolate, three bags of popcorn, a large box of Mike and Ikes, Magnum bars, and an undefined amount of granola bars, Twix’s, and suckers. It felt right at the time, but I felt disgusting the next day.
I would like to expand on this day, but NOTHING else happened. We had classes in the morning, but after that, I saw very little of anyone or anything outside of classroom 4. I’m quite sure that everyone else had similar experiences. I really did enjoy studying so intensely the stories and lessons from the Old Testament. I learned SO much that night—a lot of things that I had overlooked or misunderstood. I think I gained an even greater appreciation for the Old Testament as a whole just from rehearsing it over and over for the final.
I have some great expectations for the New Testament. Unlike the Old Testament, I am beginning this class with a love and appreciation for the New Testament and I feel that I have a pretty good understanding of the first four gospels. I love the stories of the Savior. He teaches us so much by example, commandment and parable. I’ve studied the New Testament in my personal time, seminary, and a previous class at BYU, but I still feel that there is so much more to gain, so much more that I’ve overlooked. The biggest thing I would like to get out of class is to leave everyday feeling inspired, and feeling like I can make a difference. Each day I want a renewed commitment to improve myself—a trait I could develop or a service I could perform. I also want to have an even greater love, appreciation, and understanding for Christ’s life here on earth. He is the example by which I should live, and I need to understand how I can cultivate more Christ-like characteristics. I have some big expectations, so good luck!

No comments: