Sunday, August 17, 2008

December 1, 2007

Spencer Kelly Shabbat in Galilee

December 1, 2007

This morning our class traveled to the branch building in Tiberias where we held our Shabbat services. The beautiful view of the Sea of Galilee from the branch building provided a peaceful spirit for our testimony meeting. I remember that many of the students who bore testimony, expressed gratitude for the Savior and the time we had to visit the Galilee. The Galilee Branch members were few in number but were grateful for the blessings they receive as members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I noticed that each of the members who bore testimony, witnessed to the truthfulness of the scriptures. They expressed their love for the scriptures and the blessing each of us has to read them in a language which we can understand.

This evening we attended a fireside given by the Cook’s. Sister Cook first spoke to us on the topic of behavior and worth. She stressed the importance of seeing with our spiritual lenses. President Cook ended by speaking on the phrase “treasuring in our hearts.” I enjoyed the thoughts that they shared and the uplifting spirit that was present at the fireside.

“I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep” (John 10:11). This verse is one of my favorite scriptures in the New Testament. The analogy of myself to the sheep helps me to see what my relationship with the Savior should be like. The sheep know the voice of the shepherd, meaning they are familiar with his words and are sensitive to his call. Like a sheep I should know and be sensitive to the voice of the Savior. A good shepherd will give his life for his sheep and in turn, the sheep put complete trust in the shepherd. My Savior has already given His life for me that I might put complete trust in Him and be sensitive to His call. My hope is that I might always listen to call of my Shepherd in whom I know I must completely trust.

No comments: