Sunday, August 24, 2008

October 23, 2007

Ashley Eskelsen

Religion 303

Journal Write: October 23, 2007

Though today was just going to be the normal, hum-drum Monday morning, I soon knew that today was going to be a day unlike any other. As I woke up and ate my breakfast, I quickly went down to the computer lab to check my email. While doing so, I was given a lovely surprise of receiving an email from an old friend, Marvin Goldstein informing me that he was taking a tour with a group from Utah and Haiifa; pretty strange combo, eh? The traveling group was going all throughout Israel, and their last stop would be in Jerusalem and would be in the Jerusalem Center that morning. Receiving that email made my day. I was so excited. However, I soon became disheartened when I realized that I probably wouldn't be able to see him since we had class all day until lunch that day.

While sitting throughout all my classes, all I could think about was being able to see Marvin. Luckily Brother Huntington let us out of class early, and we were able to have about twenty minutes to spare before we had the weekly announcements. My heart skipped as I speedily ran up to the eighth floor just hoping and praying that I would be able to meet him. To my joy and somewhat surprise he actually was still there. I was able to talk to him and tell his entire tour group about how amazing the Jerusalem Center truly is. I was thoroughly delighted to have been able to see and meet all these new people.

Time is money, and I absolutely hate and despise wasting time on leaving everyone meaningless emails or facebook posts. I've decided that I can do that anytime when I'm in Utah or Idaho. But being in Jerusalem is a once in a lifetime opportunity, so why waste it in the computer lab? At any rate, as I was checking my email (I had allowed myself no more than five minutes to do so), my friend from Paris, who worked with me while I was living in New York, left me an email informing me that he was in Jerusalem for the week, and he left me a number to his hotel. He told me that today and tomorrow he had a free day and would like to spend it with me. As soon as I received this email, I quickly called him to ask if he wanted to meet in the old city. To my relief, a couple people wanted to go to The King David Museum for the day. So, I decided to call him again and ask him if that would be a good location to meet. He ageed and we both arranged to meet each other there in a little less than an hour from the time of that phone call.

As I finally approached the museum, I saw and greeted him. A flood of nostalgia for New York overcame me as I gave him a big hug. I figured it was alright to give him a hug since he isn't in the program with me, right? I realized that although New York wasn't my ideal place to live, I know that the people and relationships that one develops over the course of traveling to new places is what makes living in unique places worth it.

From meeting with Marvin and my Parisian friend, I finally understood how important keeping and maintaining relationships is. Truly, the Old Testament has taught me how meaningful relationships really are. From the relationships of Jonathan and David, or Elijah and Elisha, each has motivated me to keep and maintain better relationships with fellow associates. As I met with both my friends, a flood of immense joy and love swept through my body and I realized that this truly is what life is about; receiving a brotherly love for those around you. Perhaps this is how one achieves true happiness. Indeed, I agree with the phrase, "All you need is love!"

No comments: