Thursday, August 7, 2008

November 16

Amie Ostler
November 16, 2007
Friday morning we had New Testament with Brother Ludlow and Near Eastern Studies with Brother Huntington. In New Testament we talked about the “kingdom of heaven” parables of Matthew 13 and Mark 4. Brother Ludlow used his “fickle finger of fate” to call on different people in the class to share their insights on what the nine parables can mean for us as members of the church today. For me, the thoughts from the different people in our class coupled with Brother Ludlow’s teachings were very insightful and brought new light to the scriptures we read. It was a very inspiring and spiritual class period for me, and I feel that my understanding of these parables has greatly increased.
After classes finished, most people spent the afternoon studying for the two upcoming finals-both in our Modern Near Eastern Studies Classes, one Jewish and the other Palestinian. There was a definite tense air throughout the building as students typed furiously at the computers, discussed the Arab-Israeli conflict and poured over their notes from class.
However, come nightfall, many students managed to take a break. Twenty students went to a synagogue with our Judaism teacher, Ophir Yarden. It was a very interesting experience, or so I am told. The forty Arabic students of the group went to their Arabic teacher, Ayman’s home for dinner. His house was beautiful and his wife was a wonderful cook, or so I am told.
For the remaining twenty students, we spent several hours in the quiet of the Jerusalem Center- continuing to study, taking a brief break to eat dinner in the Oasis. It was very lonely with just the twenty of us, but sort of nice at the same time. One thing of note: the appearance of Jim Kearl from BYU in Provo at dinner! It was nice to talk with him over our chicken, salads, and rolls.
Once the students got back from their activities it seemed that most of us continued to study for the tests. Not a typical Friday night for eighty college students, but still productive!
I have several expectations for our New Testament class these next few weeks. I hope to learn things about the life of Christ in a way that I have never learned about it before. I hope that I will be able to recall the many miracles he performed and find my own meaning in each of them. I hope to understand the history and politics surrounding New Testament times better, which will hopefully add to my understanding of Christ’s ministry during this time. Most of all, I hope to draw closer to my Savior through the study of his life on earth. I hope that my testimony of him and his miraculous work will be strengthened.

No comments: