Thursday, August 7, 2008

Saturday November 24, 2007

Lauran Lloyd
November 24, 2007
It was a normal Shabbat in the Holy Land. We all slept in and breakfasted later than usual, which is always pleasant. Choir practice followed for the majority of us students, then church commenced. Sacrament meeting was wonderful. Spencer talked about the plan of salvation; Tasha’s talk was about hoping through trials, on pushing through and waiting on God. Their talks were followed by an incredibly stirring rendition of “How Great Thou Art.” Tasha sang and her sister played the piano. Then Tasha’s sister talked about her experiences on her mission and the importance of helping others. Meg taught temple prep, and Emily Beezley gave the Relief Society lesson on anger. All of church was wonderful. It was a very restful day – a few groups went out, visiting Gethsemane and the Garden Tomb. I stayed in the Center, and I got some sincere study time in, getting caught up on some topics and articles I have wanted to read for a while. It was a wonderful, inspiring afternoon. I love being able to study God’s word while overlooking the Old City. A few of us sang together, then went to dinner. After dinner Jessica and I sang by the piano for a while, then I stayed awhile and played Christmas songs up on the eighth floor with the Christmas trees. Most people spent the night packing up for Galilee – I frittered away my time doing other meaningless, unrememberable things, because I don’t ever pack until the morning of departure. J
This semester has brought to my attention many new meaningful favorite passages in the New Testament. I decided for this paper to choose from my timeless treasured passages that have gotten me through a lot of hard times in my life. I actually chose two, but they are closely related in my mind. Matt.10:31 and Matt. 11:28-30. “Fear not… ye are of more value than many sparrows” and “Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest…” Christ’s whole message through these chapters is one of fortitude, reassurance, hope, and love, and it has gotten me through many a dark chapter of my life, to know God is aware of me and is there to help me through even my most severe trials.

No comments: