Sunday, August 24, 2008

Sunday December 16, 2007

Kendra Crandall
Journal for 16 December 2007

Today was paradoxically an exciting, yet rather boring day. It was exciting because it was our last day of finals; it was boring because most of us studied almost all day. Our New Testament final exam wasn’t until 2:00 pm, so most of us studied all morning until then, whether in groups or individually. When the time for the exam came, we were pleasantly surprised that Grandpa Ludlow brought us some chocolaty delicious brownies to stimulate our tired brain cells. The final itself went pretty well for the most part. Most of us did not know that Tyre and Sidon were in Phoenicia (modern Lebanon), but we did know that “I AM the word” is NOT one of Jesus’ seven I AM statements. Some of us took as long as three hours on the final, taking the time to be very thorough in our essays. The essays were a particularly valuable learning tool for me this time. I had prepared carefully and pensively for an essay on the laws of justice and mercy. As I wrote my essay for the final exam, I realized how understanding the specifics of those laws can strengthen my appreciation for Jesus sacrifice. I gained a truer understanding of the magnitude of His willingness to sacrifice for our sins to satisfy the demands of justice with the expectation of mercy. All He asks in return is that we meet His demands.
Every one was pretty giddy after the final. I observed that most of us were just walking in circles, not quite knowing how to spend the gift of free time. Some people went to West Jerusalem while others played basketball, volleyball, or soccer (we had to learn how to share the gym). I went with President Heyes and 8 other girls to visit Shannon White who was in the Ein Kerem Hadasa Hospital with a bad eye infection. We were really happy to see her again and we all felt bad that she had to stay there for so long. We sang Christmas carols and talked and laughed a lot. It was so good to be reunited for a short while!
That night many people watched movies or stayed around talking. I had fun with Lauran Lloyd, Greg Marsh, and Laura White as we tried to slide down the limestone stairs on towels and blankets (our own towels and blankets – not the JC’s – don’t worry, Sister Lee). I realized that I’m going to miss being able to have such simple fun with people I love.
One of my favorite New Testament experiences here in the Holy Land was our field trip to Bethlehem. I really enjoyed focusing on the birth of our Savior. There was such a special feeling in the Church of the Nativity as we visited the grotto and sang in the church. Most significant to me, however, was Brother Ludlow’s lesson on the witness of the shepherds in Shepherd’s Field that night. He talked about how we would have rejoiced the night of Jesus’ birth because we recognized Him as our brother and the one who would allow us to return to our Father’s presence. As we sing many of the hymns during this Christmas season, I can’t help but imagine my premortal emotions as Jesus Christ was born to this earth.

No comments: