Sunday, August 24, 2008

November 4, 2007

Daniel Sorenson

Religion 303

Professor Ludlow

11-04-07

The first thing we had on Sunday morning was Old Testament class, where I was surprised to learn that I had a journal article for my New Testament class for that day. Regardless, it was a good class period where we discussed Hoshea and Joel. I especially liked the story of Hoshea, who is commanded to marry a woman of, shall we say, questionable virtue. But he does, and when she is later unfaithful he still takes her back again. This is a very interesting parable that teaches us a lot about our relationship to our Heavenly Father. While we are not as wicked as the wife of Hoshea, we all make mistakes, often repeatedly. We see through this story, however, that God continues to love us and that if we repent then he will forgive us and take us back to him.

After that class some of us had Hebrew, and then we all had our Palestinian Narrative class, where some of us got the opportunity to discuss our thoughts on the class for five minutes, and after that we were done with classes. From there many people stayed in the center to study for our upcoming OT midterm, but me and a few others went out to go to the Church of the Ascension. Unfortunately it was closed; still we got some exercise and fresh air so it was a good trip. The rest of the afternoon I spent studying and getting ahead in my other classes so I could focus on the Old Testament Final. That night however I talked to my family, as well as other students. I realized that night just how grateful I am for this program, and for all the changes that I have made in my life, as well as the friends I have made.

As the final piece of this journal we were supposed to discuss our expectations for this New Testament class. My main expectation is to gain a better appreciation of our Savior's teachings and life, and through that knowledge change myself to become a happier and more charitable person.

No comments: