Sunday, August 24, 2008

Thursday December 13, 2007

Brittany Hofman

December 13 – Journal



Thursday, December 13th was a pretty quiet day. We spent the entire day before in Tel Aviv. With a research paper and final in Brother Huntington's class to complete, as well as the New Testament final to begin to study for, most of us stayed inside the Center. I think a few people took the chance to get out and enjoy the city…maybe prolonging the agony of finishing papers and cramming for finals. Who knows!

I was pretty tired from the day before, so I stayed in, took a nap, got my research paper for Brother Huntington's class done, studied with some others for finals and hung out! That was about the extent of my day.

As for my favorite part of our New Testament experience this year, it would have to have been these last few days on the field trips to the places of the Savior's last week. Partly because this last week in particular has been somewhat of an "epiphanic" week for me as I've been thinking back on what I've learned while being here in Jerusalem. I came to Jerusalem expecting some pretty specific things. As the semester has played out I've realized that what I expected didn't necessarily come to fruition. But I've learned other lessons that have helped me realize what I need to do to become a more dedicated and obedient disciple of my Savior.

A particularly stirring moment for me on these last field trips took place during our visit to St. Peter of Gallicantu's church. I read a talk by Elder Richard G. Scott the day before titled "Full Conversion Brings Happiness" in which he talks about Peter and his denial of the Savior. Elder Scott states: "For me, one of the most poignant passages of scripture describes what then occurred. It is a sobering reminder to each of us that knowing to do right, even ardently desiring to do right, is not enough…[after denying Christ three times, the cock crew]…And Peter remembered the word of the Lord,…and…went out, and wept bitterly. As painful as that confirmation of prophecy must have been for Peter, his life began to change forever. He became that unwavering, rock-solid servant, essential to the plan of the Father…Peter rose to the full stature of his calling…He was truly converted."

I guess that for me, as I read this and then visited the church that memorializes the prophecy of Peter's denial, I thought of my own life. My conversion has, and continues to be, a slow process. I have made many mistakes that I think I have probably dwelt too much on at times. It wasn't until the night before our visit to this church that I came to a clearer understanding of the power of repentance and change. Visiting the church gave me another opportunity to think about what I had learned, and the importance it was to me in my life. I know that although my expectations weren't necessarily met the way I thought they would be, I learned a more important and eternally significant lesson this last week that I wouldn't trade anything for!

No comments: