Thursday, August 7, 2008

Friday November 23, 2007

Ashley Marie Eskelsen

Religion 313: New Testament



Journal Entry for November 23, 2007



The morning started out deadly. While I thoroughly enjoyed listening to the edifying lecture at the beginning of class, the euphoria soon dissipated as I took the second, brutal quiz for New Testament. To say the least, I thought I was going to die. I was beginning to wonder if Brother Ludlow indeed liked to see us suffer, or maybe, perchance, it was merely an odd, idiosyncratic anomaly. Nonetheless, I knew that I couldn't dwell in this pathetic pity party. What's done was now officially done, and there was no use crying over spilt milk.

Though discouraged, I quickly removed myself from this morose state, and recalled that today was going to be a good day. The day was still young, and it was a Friday in Jerusalem for crying out loud. If you ask me, it can't get much better than that. Not only was it Friday, but it was a fun Friday. I still had one more lovely class (Brother Huntington's), I would be take a brief catnap, was invited to attend Ophir's Synagogue before dinner, and the much anticipated talent show would be after dinner which was definitely something to place a high priority on the agenda.

The rest of the day went swimmingly (that's how they say well in England), and before I knew it, the time soon arrived for us to attend Ophir's Synagogue. Walking in, I confess I was brimming with excitement and could hardly contain myself. Nonetheless, I was still a bit leery.

The room was cold, and I wasn't sure how the people attending the worship would respond to all these Mormon kids from America. Still, my pique of comfort had arrived when I sat by one of the most amazingly, charitable women I have encountered while being here in Jerusalem. She soon started talking to me in Hebrew. By my perplexed, blank stare, she soon realized I did NOT speak that language. She asked if I was American. I nodded yes, and she soon started engaging in conversation about why I was here, and how I have liked being in Israel.

She also shared with me any material that she thought would be useful, and she explained to me everything that was happening. Indeed, I felt as welcome there, as I did in my own service. Additionally, as we were singing some of the hymns, I noticed that I somehow felt the same warm, calm Spirit I feel as I read the scriptures or attend church. Confused, I didn't understand why the Spirit was there. Then I read through the English translation of the Psalms that they were singing. The Psalm talked about God's everlasting love for His children, and for Israel. I knew that the Spirit speaks truth no matter what religion, or where the location. It was there that I truly comprehended the immense, unfathomable love that God possesses for each and every one of us.

Upon returning home from the Synagogue, I had a very delicious dinner. Two nights of yummy dinners is enough to make one happy, but a talent show straight soon thereafter is enough to make one experience pure bliss. The talent show was without a doubt one of the greatest I have ever attended. The talents of everyone here at the center are so inspiring. Everyone is so talented, yet so humble. Although all the talents were very well done, I will admit that my favorite talent was that of James Lawrence Archibald's. He delivered one of the most polished, yet extremely entertaining original essays. That man is such a talented boy. I hope someday he writes his own book, and I will be the first to read it.

Undeniably, my day had not started out completely sublime. But I can honestly say that this was because of my attitude. After I changed my attitude, and realized how great my life in truth had been, I began to change my outlook, and my day soon shifted a 180 degree turn and instantly became better. I now know that Dostoevsky was legitimate in saying, " Man is fond of counting his troubles, but he does not count his joys. If he counted them up as he ought to, he would see that every lot has enough happiness provided for it. "

No comments: