Sunday, August 24, 2008

December 4, 2007
Kerri Regehr

Today started out as most of my days of late have: not well enough rested and still feeling a bit sick. I enjoyed my first breakfast back at the JC since coming home from the Galilee, and I was again grateful I don't have to cook my own food. New Testament was very interesting and I learned a lot today, but the two hour block wore me out more than it normally does. In as sneaky a manner as I could, I asked Brother Huntington if there was a quiz in his class today. He replied there would be no quiz today, and said I sounded terrible and should go to bed. I took his advice and ended up sleeping strait through lunch and linen exchange. Thankfully I have a wonderful roommate who is willing to help anyone in need, even if it means making their bed while they are in it.

When I woke up from my coma, I headed upstairs through the quiet halls of the JC to do homework. I guessed everyone would be out in the city since we had been deprived of such a pleasure for over a week now. I wanted to be with them, but resting was probably the better thing to do for now. I found Danny working on some homework and joined him, completing my New Testament homework before the majority of students returned home. I spent the remainder of the afternoon doing bits of homework and enjoying pleasant, homework distracting conversation with my friends here at the JC.

Dinner was the usual good Oasis food, but I still wasn't feeling up to eating much. The exciting part of the day came after dinner: Enrichment night! We were talking about Christmas traditions, so we each got to work on a different tradition in groups with the sisters. I was in the group that was making Christmas candy. Instead of infesting all those participating with whatever unknown illness I have, I decided to sit back and watch the girls make the treats that I didn't really feel like eating anyway. I had a good time talking with everyone though, and it made me feel like I was at home, because my mom always makes Christmas candy too.

After Enrichment, I wandered into the lounge where I found several of the guys watching "The Princess Bride". I love this movie, so I sat down and tried not to cough to much as I laughed. I was pretty beat by time the movie was over, even though it wasn't that late. I decided it would be the best option to just go to bed and try to make my body get better.

One of my favorite New Testament passages of scripture has always been in John 20, when Jesus appears to Mary Magdalene after he has risen. These past few weeks it has only become more special to me. Mary is in tears because she thinks someone has stolen the body of Christ, and "Jesus saith unto her, Mary" (verse 16). Immediately she knows it is her Master and Redeemer, the Lord Jesus Christ. Every time I read this I wonder if I would be able to recognize the Master's voice when he calls my name. I hope and pray I will come to know him well enough so that I will know him when he comes again.

No comments: