Sunday, August 24, 2008

Friday December 7, 2007

Spencer Kelly December 7, 2007

Today began with our New Testament class. Bro. Ludlow spoke on Thursday night to Friday morning the last week of Jesus’ mortal ministry. Our discussion focused on Christ’s sufferings in Gethsemane and the universal laws of Justice and Mercy. We were taught that Jesus was willing to perform the atonement because of His love for mankind. He was able be He was the Son of God, He was Sinless, and He was the only one foreordained as the Savior. In NES, we continued our New Testament learning with a discussion on the Zealots and the Pharisees.
This evening we were fortunate to hear from a member of the U.S. Embassy, Trevor Tuttle. Mr. Tuttle spoke to us about the current situation of Israeli-Palestinian conflict and possible paths it will take in the near future.

My favorite New Testament experience was our boat ride across the Sea of Galilee. As I stood looking out over the water, I could not help but imagine the Savior as He taught the multitudes those things recorded in the scriptures. What an amazing thing to be in the very place where it occurred! I tried to imagine the great storm that the Savior calmed but it was difficult on such a beautiful and peaceful morning. But I could imagine Peter, James and John as well as the other apostles as they enjoyed quiet, personal moments with the Savior that would never be recorded but which prepared them for the work the Lord called them to do. I could even see myself living two thousand years ago, sitting at the feet of the Savior, listening to the comfort that His words bring to the searching soul. The peaceful serenity that I felt as we sang the hymn, “Be Still My Soul,” will be an experience I will never forget.

No comments: