Thursday, August 7, 2008

January 15, 2007

Shannon White
Journal Entry
In the JC—November 15, 2007

We began the day in New Testament. It was a two hour class. We began discussing the parables of Jesus. Brother Ludlow compared parables to a pyramid. The parables begin with a storyline, teach a moral lesson, then a spiritual lesson. Two other parts of the pyramid can be added when you implement latter-day lessons and individual lessons. In NES 336 we discussed Alexander the Great, his conquests, and how he changed the world.
Since we had free time the rest of the day,Brittany, Emma, Laura, and I decided to go to the Old City. We explored some different sites, inc luding Herod’s Gate. We also went to a place called Helena’s Cistern, where we sang a couple hymns before continuing on our adventures. After a falafal break, we entered the courtyard to the Church of the Holy Sepulchre from the rooftop of the Church. We descended through a couple of Ethiopian churches to get to the courtyard. We continued to wander in the city, doing some shopping along the way.
Talking to other people, I found out that most went into the city as well. There were some who went to Aladdin’s, Tomb of the Prophets, Shaban’s, and various places within the Old City. For many the night was spent finishing up New Testament and Archaelogy homework, as well as watching a variety of movies and playing games.
I am very excited to learn about the New Testament! It is something I have been looking forward to all semester. It is exciting to think that I am learning about Christ and His teachings in the place He lived and taught. As we study the New Testament the rest of this semester, I hope to develop a greater love and appreciation for my Savior and His marvelous life and mission. I desire to study His teachings in greater depth and glean the vast amount of knowledge that is there. What I hope to gain most from this experience in studying the New Testament is a closer relationship with my Savior and my Heavenly Father. I hope and pray that my faith and my testimony of the Savior will be strengthened through my study and through the various fieldtrip experiences I have. What a marvelous blessing it is to study the New Testament! I am really looking forward to it.

No comments: