Thursday, August 7, 2008

November 17, 2007

Lance Evanson

BYU Jerusalem

November 17, 2007

New Testament Journal One

A delightful day of active and joyful Sabbath worship, today was a just another great day in Jerusalem. Over the last few months the Sabbath schedule has been a true relief as it seems to be the only day of rest from mental exhaustion. Today has held a new spirit; as the days go on and I grow more accustom to living in the Holy city I feel as though I come closer to the days of the savior rather than further away. Teachings are coming alive that were spoken so many years ago by the savior. Though we try daily to remember Jesus, the Sabbath always seems to excite feelings of gratitude and reverence for Him.

Today as I walked into the Oasis there seemed to be more smiling faces than usual and a pleasant feeling in the air; it made my smile just that much bigger. Choir was splendid as it always is, we soon will be having our concert so we practice for that and we were to sing a prelude hymn. The members started filing in just as we were finishing. It is a splendid feeling to enjoy hymns of an angelic choir on the Sabbath in Jerusalem. Now just quickly as an overview of the rest of the day: we had sacrament meeting, Sunday school, and priesthood, and then we were free as always to go and enjoy our day. A few of us went to the Garden Tomb and there enjoyed the sweat spirit that is in that sacred place; we came back in time for dinner and waited until the evening when we would have a fireside by Brother Draper about the Book of Revelation. If I where anywhere else it would have been my desire to be here in this place, the Holy city.

Though we may not be able to walk where Jesus walked we can do what Jesus did and love as He loved. I find that these words have been comforting to me as I realize that soon I will have to leave. Because of what I have experienced here I will be able to be more like Jesus by living like Him rather than living where He did, but while I am here I will try and take in all that I can in order help myself learn how to be emulate him.

We now are studying the New Testament of the Lord Jesus Christ and it is a most wonderful experience as I am able to enjoy not only the teachings but also the places where they were taught. All my life I have desired to walk where He walked, now I desire to live as He lived and become more like him. We have been promised that as we keep his commandments, remember him, and take his name upon us we will come closer to him and have his spirit to be with us. My desire as I am learning more about the life and teachings of the Savior is to learn how I can fulfill my covenants with him and have his spirit to be with me. I desire to emulate his personality, his character, and his love. Over the last months I have strived to understand the covenants that I have entered into through baptism and in the temple. Christ and His atonement are central to my covenants and to allowing me to have his spirit with me. I hope that in my study of the New Testament I am able to become more like the Savior, draw closer to the Spirit, and understand more fully the covenants of the gospel of Jesus Christ.

No comments: