Sunday, August 24, 2008

Saturday December 15, 2007

Ashley Eskelsen

Religion 311



Journal Entry: December 15, 2007



The morning seemed rushed and chaotic. I felt like everything had gone wrong, and all because I woke up later than I had anticipated. I didn't have time to style my hair nicely. I had missed breakfast, which was especially discouraging considering it was the last Shabbat breakfast we would have at the Jerusalem Center. I didn't get to read my scriptures in the morning. The copy machine was not cooperating, and I had to meet with Brother Galbraith at that very second to play through a duet that Rachel Mildenstein and I would be singing during church. Although my morning could have been worse, still, I felt a little annoyed that all these seemingly meaningless hindrances kept adding one on top of another. Likewise, the seconds seemed to be ticking on as I impatiently walked into the auditorium to get ready for church.

As I rushed into the auditorium I could feel my blood pressure decreasing as I realized that Brother Galbraith wasn't waiting for us. In fact, he hadn't finished working with another group that was singing. Thankfully I still had time to sit down, and reflect about my Shabbat day. As I sat contemplating, Peter and Kyler arranged and made preparations for the Sacrament. There I was, sitting in front of the sacrament table, watching them make preparation for a symbolic act to help us remember the infinite sacrifice that occurred in a location no further than five miles from where I was sitting. Here I was in Jerusalem complaining because my morning hadn't gone as planned. I realized then that I had nothing to complain about. I have been blessed with a knowledge that Christ atoned for our sins and was resurrected. There is no greater news, no greater truth, and no greater joy can be found other than from these words of lasting peace.

Owing to this experience, as I sang my duet, "Christ Child, Christ Child" with Rachel Mildenstein, I was filled with such an overwhelming sense of renewed gratitude and strength. I knew because my Savior lived, I too could live forever, which greatest gift is known to man.

Later that night, a group of us came to visit Shannon in the hospital. Since her eye had not been healed entirely of an infection, she still had to stay one more day in the hospital hallway (yes, they gave her a hallway instead of a room). As we sat talking to her, I realized what a tremendous blessing it is to have friends. Many of the people in the hallway looked longingly at us as we walked in. I could sense a hint of envy as all the other patients saw that Shannon had indeed more friends to come and visit her. How sad I felt as I saw all the other people look heartbroken as we walked in the room. Still, I think by our saying hi to all of them, and by our presence, I truly feel we lightened the gloomy hallway. If anything, we cheered Shannon up, which made me happy and cheerful to see her so happy.

Even though my Shabbat didn't start the way I had anticipated, still, I knew that it had ended better than I could have imagined because of the spirit and revitalized testimony I had in our Savior. So it is with life. I thought of when Brother Ludlow told us to value the things that are truly important in life. Even so, Christ taught, "But Lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor dust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal. For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also."

The Lessons that I learned this semester are countless and priceless. Sister Ludlow said that if we weren't thankful for all the things we had done, someday we will. Someday is today. I am so grateful for the opportunity I had been given to study here in the Holy Land and learn more about my Savior. The world may never know the value of this priceless gift; nonetheless, I am eternally indebted for the blessing to have been able to come here. I know that these are treasures that I will always cherish. The friendship I have developed and testimony I have strengthened, is by far the greatest gift I could ask to be given throughout my entire life.

No comments: