Sunday, August 24, 2008

Saturday December 15, 2007

Ryan Taylor
Journal Entry for Dec 15, 2007
I think that everyone had a serious reality check today at church, as it was our last Shabbat here in Jerusalem. President Hayes got up and starting wishing us a wonderful life, and even got choked up as he told us how much we would be missed. I think that is when I realized that it was going to be an emotional week as we neared our departure date.
The service itself was tremendous. Jessica gave a great talk which she had essentially stayed up all night preparing. It was definitely worth it though, at least for the rest of us. Then a number of students sang “He Lives” from the Kirtland Pageant. This was followed by the two future sister missionaries, Rachel and Sarah, bearing their respective testimonies. They are going to be phenomenal missionaries in Europe. Next the Galbraith’s played a violin duet that was very touching. Lastly, the wonderful choir got up to do its thing one last time. We sang two pieces from our concert and then, after the prayer and services were over, sang a final postlude farewell song called “Sing We Now at Parting.” It was quite a somber moment, as the realization set in that we actually had to leave everything we have come to love about each other and this place.
The rest of the day was spent in anxious anticipation of the New Testament finals that were to be held the next day. Several studied intently, while others tried to avoid any mention of the test at all costs. Caleb and I had our traditional chess game, which I am unhappy to report that I lost . . . . Again. I think I won maybe once in the last 2 months that we have been doing this. I need do some serious study and practice over the break, casually invite him to play another game in Provo, and then destroy him. I’m not bitter or anything.
I also had the chance to go and visit Shannon in the hospital. She has been there for a few days now with an eye infection. The poor girl was stuck in the hallway on a hospital bed, undoubtedly bumped and disturbed by every passerby. She seemed in good spirits though. She has way more patience than I ever would have in that situation. The rumor is that she will be getting out in the next few days, and will be able to fly home with the rest of us, which is good.
The most memorable New Testament moment for me was our class lecture covering the Sermon on the Mount. Just visualizing Christ teaching his followers the same things on that same hill made a deep impression on me. Plus the view overlooking the Sea of Galilee from the well kept garden was gorgeous. What impressed me the most, however, was the concept of the “Constitution of Christianity.” I had never really studied those passages in any amount of depth, and have seriously deprived myself by not doing so. There are tremendous blessings promised us as we follow Christ and be one of his disciples. However, there are equally tremendous responsibilities we have as citizens of the Kingdom of Heaven. Often it seems overwhelming, trying to be perfect as we have been commanded. However, Professor Ludlow made it clear that it is a process, that we can work at it over time and Jesus will help us along as long as we are committed and do our very best. I’m so grateful for a loving Father in Heaven that sent his blessed Son to be our personal Savior.

No comments: